About Biesjespoort nr 534

Biesjespoort History The first known inhabitant of Biesjespoort Farm was a San hunter called Flinks. Unfortunately Flinks developed an incurable taste for Karoo Lamb, and was subsequently hunted down by a commando of farmers in the late 1860's. Flinks left a legacy of ostrich shells, watering holes and rock art - and his name, Flinkskop, to a magnificent dolorite koppie on the farm.

According to the dated carvings on the top flagstone of the Corbelled house on the farm, colonists were already farming on Biesjespoort by 1868, and in 1880 the farm was proclaimed as a quitrent farm by the then Governor of the Cape, Sir Bartle Frere.

On 18th August 1905, Carel Stephanus Erasmus – the predecessor of the present owners – purchased the 6282 morgen for £2 450 and started farming with Merino sheep. Approximately 100 ha of wheat and lupine were also cultivated from the big irrigation dams and furrow (leivoor) on the farm.

Farming statistics have been kept since early days: Monthly rainfall figures date back to 1st January 1917 and annual stock figures were kept since 1st January 1922 till today.

Quite a number of pre-historic fossils were found on the farm, and in 1999 Professor Bruce Rubidge discovered well preserved specimen of Elliotsmithia Longiceps which support fauna links between Euroamerica and Gondwana Land.

To the present fifth generation owners, the farm is still today a haven of excellent Karoo Lamb, fontein water, klipkraals and dressed-stone pillars, Springbuck hunts, screeching bustards (korhane) and extended Easter Weekend dinners.