Cook, traveller, father, husband, filmmaker, gardener... and not particularly in that order. Filmmaker, veteran presenter, author and Head of Production at Cooked in Africa Films, Justin Bonello has worked in the film industry since he was 14 years old and is the co-founder of one of South Africa's leading film production companies. To date he and managing partner, Executive Producer, Peter Gird have produced more than 23 television series broadcast in over 100 countries around the world and they have no plans to stop any time soon. Justin has done the very thing that we all dream of - taking the things he cares most deeply about and making his world revolve around them. His passion for the outdoors and South Africa's untamed beauty is rooted in his childhood where he spent weekends on the Breede River and holidays on the Wild Coast in the Eastern Cape. As he grew up, so too did his appetite for good, wholesome, down-to-earth food.
Published with permission from COOKED IN THE KAROO
by Justin Bonello, www.justinbonello.com. Photography Louis Hiemstra and Cooked in Africa films. All rights reserved.
This is basically a fancy relish, and it's very simple to make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Take a couple of big handfuls of baby tomatoes and arrange them on a large baking tray.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with a couple of pinches of brown sugar and a decent splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Season with Maldon salt and cracked black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about an hour, or until caramelised.
- In a pan, fry the sliced onions (about two should be enough) until golden.
- Once the tomatoes are beautiful and caramelised, combine them with the onions.
Serve either hot or cold as a relish to go on those delicious Lam'burgers.